For many companies, social media is an important marketing tool capable of reaching out to millions of business followers. The benefits of Twitter are lost upon smaller businesses that do not yet realize its potential or are unfamiliar with the platform’s benefits. While Facebook is commonly recognized as the largest social media platform, the significance of Twitter for businesses grows each day.
Why Twitter could overtake Facebook
Twitter requires businesses to communicate effectively in concise messages and is a unique way of engaging customers. Using a maximum of 140-characters per “tweet,” Twitter is a platform that requires thought and time. However, there are several reasons why Twitter should be an important part of your business.
- An active platform. The Twitter platform is an active place where the average user posts approximately five times per day compared to Facebook where the average user posts less than once a day.
- A younger demographic. Each social media platform caters to a unique demographic. Twitter is popular among younger users who avoid Facebook because it is the platform of choice for their parents or grandparents.
- Greater ROI with Twitter. Advertising on Facebook has changed, and its cost is increasing. Twitter generates more clicks and outperforms traffic generated by Facebook ads.
How to Bring Your Business to Twitter
- Personify your business. Tweeting requires social rules and etiquette. Watch and listen to a conversation, think before tweeting, and remain relevant to the conversation. Respond to people by name in comments and questions.
- Hashtag relevance. Use hashtags to contribute to relevant topics. Hashtags trend and it is important to use them in an authentic way.
- Special promotions. Give users a reason to follow your tweets. Use Twitter to announce the launch of special products or promotions.
- Targeting users. Keywords make your business relevant to users tweeting keywords or relevant phrases. Your ad message will insert itself into users’ conversations, increasing the relevance of your business.
Twitter is an important social platform neglected by some businesses. It boosts business’ visibility, and relevant ads generate greater online traffic. Used creatively and in an authentic social way, Twitter will generate excitement and loyalty.